Monday, July 22, 2013

Talking Teddy Bear


When you were younger, what toys did you enjoy? For the boys, perhaps there’s Lego (for those born in the 70’s or 80’s? hehe), then cars, robots and building blocks. For the girls, well, there’s the iconic Barbie, maybe a doll house, cooking set and stuffed toys. I’m a fan of stuffed toys. I remember, when my niece, Mariah, was still a toddler, she would go to my room and we would play “puppets.” I would use my stuffed toys and create a show wherein they would come alive. Mariah enjoyed it so much! J

Who would ever forget "The Muppets" and their silly antics? Hehe.  
A minion with a million bears.. Stuffed toys everywhere!
Took a picture of these cute kids enjoying the toys in the toy store..   

When I grew up, I never knew that my mind would play “puppets” on me. Here's what happened... 

I just had my first episode in December 2007 and I was back in my parents’ house, having been brought home from the boarding place I was living in. My mind had gone haywire because of too much stress in several aspects of my life – emotionally, relationally, professionally, financially, spiritually.. I had not been sleeping enough hours for days and was drinking lots of coffee and energy drinks because I was trying to hit a deadline. Put all of that together and BAM! I SNAPPED. Another factor to this was genetics. My father was also diagnosed as bipolar so that makes me predisposed to having it too IF exposed to triggers.

One evening, I was talking with my sister who called long-distance from the USA. My whole family got so worried about me that time. While we were talking, I saw, as in literally saw one of my stuffed toys moving its mouth!! I had to look twice to see if what I was seeing was real. I blinked and still saw it talking (but with no sound). Indeed, TEDDY WAS TALKING! TEDDY WAS ALIVE!
Teddy, are you alive??!!!  
That time, of course I was still so spaced out that I did not realize I was hallucinating. Wow. So that’s what a hallucination looks like. It did not last long though. Maybe it ran for less than a minute. Finally, my teddy stopped moving its mouth. The puppet play was over.

That is just one of the many experiences that I’ve had with my “crazy” and funny brain. There is chemical imbalance up there so I have to manage it properly with medication, psychotherapy and a healthy lifestyle (sleep, food, exercise, supplements). But, most importantly, I have to pray and immerse my mind in God’s Word – His promises for me. I need to constantly surrender my brain to the Great Physician. I know in my heart that Jesus is my Healer. I know nothing is impossible with Him. J 

“Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but BE TRANSFORMED
by the renewing of your MIND.”  Romans 12:2 
***
*FOLLOW my blog by clicking the Imotiv ad at the upper right hand portion of the blog and receive automatic blog updates. Yay!

*Follow me on Twitter too! @polarbeardana

*Find me at Facebook and let’s be friends!

*Please feel free to COMMENT HERE. But you would have to be logged on to Gmail. If you don’t have a Gmail account, please just send me a message through Facebook (Dana Alimorong). I WOULD LOVE TO HEAR FROM YOU.. J

Let's play puppets! Second childhood? Hehe.
P.S. Teddy has never spoken in any of my other delusions and hallucinations again. Maybe he decided to retire from the puppet stage. Hehe. J

                        www.muppet.wikia.com


7 comments:

  1. isn't your teddy really "Ted" from the movie with Mark Whalberg?!?! lol

    i assume that in those moments you probably were trying to analyse the situation and what would the possibilities of it being rational, but we still get swept away by our delusions most of the time. ;)

    Stay healthy cousin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh wait! sorry, i didn't get the movie with mark w... what title? sorry ha, im such an ignoramus when it comes to movies. haha. lol... actually, you're right. i blinked -- twice even. but there was much short circuit going on in my brain at that time (since the breakdown was so fresh) that it got drowned with the rest of the confusion.. haha.. stay healthy, too, couz! :)

      Delete
    2. The movie title is Ted watch it, its funny!

      Delete
  2. Virginia Woolf, as she was writing her soon-to-be masterpiece "Mrs Dalloway" wrote an entry in her diary stating that she saw King George III's head popping out of her window sill.

    Virginia Woolf, the highly acclaimed feminist and literary writer (who lived in the early parts of the 20th century) was bipolar. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh dear, the head-popping thingy is scary! ahihihihi.. :p i wonder what the facial expression was.. hahaha. i hope king george was smiling. :) yes, virginia woolf was bipolar. such a talented writer! :) thanks so much for sharing, shirley.. :)

      Delete
  3. You're welcome. She's actually one of my fave writers, along with a handful of others. As to what King George countenance was... Virginia never said anything about it. Haha. But I could imagine--she must have been petrified... lol.

    ReplyDelete