Friday, July 19, 2013

Going Nuts!


Lately, I’ve been going nuts… I’m not losing my mind, though. Hehe. What I mean is that I’ve been eating generous amounts of peanuts. As I had sleepless nights looking after my mom last week, I was afraid that my brain functions would go haywire. I feared that the lack of sleep would trigger a mild episode. You see, sleep deprivation is not really good for those with mental condition.
Waaaah! Help! I'm going nuts!! 
So to compensate for this, I thought of boosting my brain’s strength by eating “brain food” – one of which is THE POWERFUL PEANUT. J
Yummy yummy peanuts!
Photo Credit: Birdsong Peanuts
So, what’s so cool about the peanut?

Well, the peanut or “groundnut” (Arachis hypogaea) belongs to the “bean” family (Fabaceae) and is thought to have first been cultivated in Paraguay. This annual herbaceous plant grows from 30 to 50 cm high.

Besides being a favorite snack, it has several uses. Believe it or not, it’s made into solvents, oils, medicines, textile materials, cosmetics, plastics, dyes, paints and others. Well known products are salted peanuts, peanut butter (sandwich spread, peanut candy bars, peanut butter cookies, cups), peanut brittle and shelled nuts (plain/roasted). Peanuts are usually the major ingredient in mixed nuts because they are relatively cheaper as compared to Brazil nuts, cashews, walnuts and the like. And of course, we are familiar with boiled peanuts, prepared raw and unshelled.

These mighty nuts are packed with nutrients, giving over 30 essential nutrients and phytonutrients. Peanuts are a good source of niacin, folate, fiber, vitamin E, magnesium and phosphorus. What more is that they are also naturally FREE of trans-fats (yes!) and sodium and has about 25% protein (higher rate than other nuts).

As I’ve mentioned above, peanuts contain NIACIN (vitamin B3) which is a major contributor when it comes to BRAIN HEALTH. I will deal more about Niacin in another blog. J

So, you might be wondering what’s been happening to my brain functions after eating peanuts? Amazingly, it has been steady. No agitated thoughts. No anxiety so far. I’ve been able to sleep soundly for the past few days.  Thank God. Looks like the friendly peanut has done magic in my coconut. J

So, I suggest you grab some nuts especially if you feel that your brain needs a little help. Join me and let’s go nuts over peanuts! J 

One of my favorite snacks.
Not too much, though, so as not to have arthritis. Hehe.
Moderation is the key to healthy eating.
 
*FOLLOW my blog by clicking the Imotiv ad at the upper right hand portion of the blog and receive automatic blog updates. Yay!

*Follow me on Twitter too! @polarbeardana

*Find me on Facebook and let’s be friends!

*Please feel free to COMMENT HERE. But you would have to be logged on to Gmail. If you don’t have a Gmail account, please just send me a message through Facebook (Dana Alimorong). I WOULD LOVE TO HEAR FROM YOU.. J
Munching on some nuts.. By the way, despite its name,
the peanut is NOT a nut but a legume. Hehe.
 

               Holford, Patrick. “New Optimum Nutrition for the Mind.” 


2 comments:

  1. I miss boiled peanuts :( hmmm I will stuff myself with boiled peanuts next time am there. We'll munch together♥ hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah, boiled peanuts are so yummy! :) sige po, let's munch together.. when are you coming home po for a vacay? :)

      Delete