Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Anti Psychotic Free!


Yesterday, I had my monthly psychotherapy with my psychiatrist and GUESS WHAT?! The antipsychotic medicine (Risperidone 2mg) that I had been taking since this February was removed from my regimen already!!! Yipeee!!! After six looooong months, I’m FREEEE!!! Doc said I’ve graduated from it and there seems to be no need for me to take it anymore. Ohhhh, thank God! I’m soo happy-dee!! J 

Now, just for your added information, Risperidone is an effective antipsychotic drug that is mainly used in treating schizophrenia, schizoaffective disorder, the mixed and manic states of bipolar disorder and the irritability associated to patients with autism.    

Risperidone... It was nice being friends with you..
Now, it's time to say sweet goodbye.. 
What’s left for me to take is Depakote (Valproate) 500mg which is a mood stabilizer that I take every morning.  Valproic acid (VPA, Valproate) is used as an anticonvulsant and mood-stabilizer, mainly in the treatment of epilepsy and bipolar disorder. It is less commonly used for major depression. Valproate can also relieve migraine.

These lavender tablets have been my oh so faithful
companions for more than five years now... 
I am aware that some people are wary of taking prescription medicines in treating mental disorder. I respect the views and opinion of these people. As for me, I believe in BALANCE – the balance of nutrition, exercise, psychotherapy, medicines and most especially prayer. And as long as the medicines I’m taking will not have adverse side effects, then, I’m fine with that. J

I really just want to SHARE MY JOY with all of you. And I would also like to encourage you if you’re losing hope in a battle that you’re in -- there is always light at the end of the tunnel. Just surrender your cares to the Lord and He will take care of it. Nothing is impossible with Him. J


I can live without anything except this little bag..
My medicine kit!!

                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depakote  


9 comments:

  1. I'm very happy for you dana :) all in God's time :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for sharing my joy, Jenn.. Yes, God's timing is perfect. He is good. :) Hugs!

      Delete
  2. good for you... I'm still using risperidone. :(

    take care of your health.

    ciao!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry, Bob.. In time, matatanggal din yan sa iyo. Be patient with yourself, too. Just follow the doctor's guidance -- take your meds religiously, eat right, exercise, take food supplements (vitamins), visit your doctor and pray... Take care.. We're always praying for you..

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks sooo much, Trees dear. God is so good. His love is everlasting. :) Please continue to pray for me... that there would not be any need EVER for an antipsychotic in the future.. Be blessed. :)

      Delete
  4. I can say I myself am familiar with the meds you mentioned. I also had the chance to take Depakote but my body could not handle the side-effects, e.g. obesity when taken for prolonged periods of time; I can never gain that much weight on my own since I end up easily fatigued. So I practically lived entirely on Lamotrigine (except for sundry times in the past wherein I had med changes in succession which included lithium and seroquel in my routines). When I eventually was diagnosed with epilepsy--the main reason for my bipolar breakdowns, actually--it was likewise imperative for me to include Oxcarbazepine to stabilise myself even further. Therefore, the main concern now is not really my bipolar since my doctors mentioned that it merely is the offshoot of the epileptic attacks.

    I am happy and blessed to have read this sharing, though. Indeed, apart from Him we can do nothing (John 15:5)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, ok I understand. Yeah, sad to say Depokote really made me gain weight, too. Also Risperidone. So, how many medicine types are you taking now?

      I'm glad that you were blessed -- all glory to Jesus, my Healer! Yes, apart from Him we can do nothing. :)

      Delete
    2. Hi Dana! Sorry for the late reply.

      Currently I am on Lamotrigine and Oxcarbazepine, both anti-epileptic medications with the latter mostly centred on curbing the epileptic symptoms. There are moments, though, that I would have anxiety triggers so I was given Alprazolam as well. Alongside which, if I should like to address my insomnia in its most grave occurrences, I was also given Rivotril; however, I don't take it often--or more properly--I don't dare take it if not utterly needed. In fact, a whole year's time went by with merely three out of five tablets dispensed with my sure knowledge of things, hehehe. Well, I don't try to rely a lot on sleeping pills since such could be addictive. I don't want to end up as a hopeless (trying hard, if you will) Michael Jackson or Marilyn Monroe.

      Delete